Leveraging Appian for Effective Enterprise Risk Management: Examples and Insights.
Sharmila (Sam) Wijeyakumar / May 29, 2023
3 min read
In today’s complex and rapidly evolving business landscape, managing risks effectively is crucial for organizations to maintain a competitive edge, protect their reputation, and ensure long-term success. Enterprise risk management (ERM) encompasses a comprehensive approach to identifying, assessing, and addressing potential risks across an organization. By leveraging Appian’s low-code platform, businesses can create custom ERM solutions that streamline risk management processes, enhance decision-making, and improve overall risk posture. In this blog, we will discuss how Appian can facilitate ERM and provide real-world examples of its implementation.
Appian’s low-code platform offers numerous benefits for organizations looking to improve their ERM capabilities, including:
1) Centralized Risk Data: Appian enables organizations to consolidate risk data from multiple sources, such as risk assessments, audits, and incident reports, into a single, unified platform. This provides a comprehensive view of the organization’s risk landscape and facilitates better decision-making.
2) Streamlined Risk Assessments: Appian can be used to create custom risk assessment workflows that automate and streamline the process of identifying, evaluating, and prioritizing risks. This ensures a consistent approach to risk assessments across the organization and reduces the time and effort required to conduct them.
3) Real-Time Risk Monitoring: Appian’s platform offers real-time risk monitoring capabilities, enabling organizations to track risk indicators, identify emerging risks, and take timely action to mitigate potential threats.
4) Enhanced Collaboration: Appian fosters collaboration between various stakeholders, such as risk managers, business units, and executives, by providing a centralized workspace for sharing information, updates, and best practices.
5) Improved Compliance: Appian can help organizations maintain compliance with various regulatory requirements by automating compliance checks, maintaining audit trails, and generating required reports.
Example 1: A Global Financial Institution
A leading global financial institution faced challenges in managing its ERM processes, including a lack of real-time risk visibility, inconsistent risk assessments, and inefficient collaboration between risk teams. By implementing an Appian solution, the institution achieved the following:
• Centralized risk data, providing real-time visibility into the organization’s risk landscape
• Streamlined risk assessments with automated workflows and standardized evaluation criteria
• Improved collaboration between risk teams and business units through a unified platform
As a result, the financial institution significantly enhanced its ERM capabilities, enabling it to proactively manage risks and maintain regulatory compliance.
Example 2: A Multinational Manufacturing Company
A multinational manufacturing company sought to improve its ERM capabilities to address risks associated with its complex supply chain, evolving regulatory environment, and global operations. By leveraging Appian, the company achieved the following:
• Consolidated risk data from various sources, such as supplier assessments, audit findings, and incident reports
• Developed custom risk assessment workflows that incorporated industry-specific risk factors and evaluation criteria
• Implemented real-time risk monitoring to track emerging risks and potential disruptions to its supply chain
By employing Appian for ERM, the manufacturing company significantly improved its ability to identify, assess, and address risks, ensuring the resilience of its operations and the continuity of its supply chain.
Appian’s low-code platform offers a powerful solution for organizations seeking to enhance their enterprise risk management capabilities. By centralizing risk data, streamlining risk assessments, and facilitating real-time risk monitoring, Appian enables businesses to proactively manage risks, maintain compliance, and protect their reputation in a complex and ever-changing business environment.